Pirate Fairy

Day 248 – Pirate Fairy

To celebrate my nephew’s birthday today, and to stay in line with the theme of the majority of his presents, I created a pirate fairy.

I painted a whole page of my A5 sketchbook using navy blue acrylic paint and used the brush to add texture. Once dry, I drew a silhouette of a fairy on the reverse and cut it out using scissors.

Painted Jar Fairy

Day 237 – Painted Jar Fairy

I started by painting the inside of a clean pickle jar with acrylic paints in various shades of blue. I mixed the colours as I painted.

I then drew a silhouette of a fairy with a black permanent marker on the outside of the jar.

In my head, I thought putting a lit candle inside would make the silhouette shine through. This didn’t work. I therefore painted on top of the black permanent marker with white acrylic paint. I tried dabbing the brush to add a bit of texture.

Plaster Fairy

Day 213 – Plaster Fairy

We made some fairies using plaster of Paris in a mould,ย last night –ย ready to paint this morning. There was a minor wing-breakage in the removal but otherwise, they came out of the mould nicely.

I mixed some acrylic paints to paint her in bright colours.

Cling Film Art Fairy

Day 180 – Cling Film Art Fairy

I have only just come across this technique – essentially just put dollops of various colours of paint onto some cartridge paper, cover the page with cling film and rub the colours together to mix.

I chose to use acrylic paint so that when I removed the cling film, the texture would remain.

I then drew the fairy onto the dried paint and cut the silhouette using scissors.

Sponge Print Fairy

Day 176 – Sponge Print Fairy

I used two sponges, each with a different colour to print onto some light green card.

For the wings, I simply tied an elastic band around the middle of one sponge and cut some details on the top wings and curved edges.

I drew the body onto the second sponge and cut around the edges using scissors.

I put acrylic paint onto both and stamped the wings first before the body.

Skull Fairy

Day 116 – Skull Fairy

In a nod to the 10th anniversary of the start of Noah Scalin’s Skull-A-Day challenge (which inspired me to do this in the first place!) I tried to add a fairy twist to the occasion.

I had a mini decopatch skull which I painted using acrylic paints inside and out. I chose to paint dancing fairies around the circumference, with toadstools too, of course.

See below for other angles:

Textured Dancing Fairy

Day 47 – Textured Dancing Fairy

This background is painted in varying shades of blue, teal and white acrylic blended loosely together.

Whilst the paint was drying, I cut out a silhouette of a dancing fairy from a textured black plastic using my craft knife and cutting mat. Then I stuck her on top of the painted background (once it wasย dry).